Monday 30 January 2012

Chicken Soup


I feel faintly embarrassed giving a recipe for chicken soup, but this is such a tasty soup I thought it was a shame not to share it! 

I know I should make the stock myself, from the carcass; but I’ve never had any success with stock making and it’s been a complete waste of good vegetables and hours simmering on the hob.  Instead I use a good ready-made stock instead. 

I always make this with leftover chicken, and usually toss in the sticky wings too.  They impart a lovely flavour to the soup.  Just remember to fish out the bones before dishing up! 

The quantities below are what I used today, and this made four generous servings.  As always, it improves on keeping so could well be made today for tomorrow.
 
½ to 1oz butter
1 large potato
1 large stick celery
1 leek
1 carrot
¼ large swede
Quantity of leftover meat (I never weigh, just toss in generously!)
Salt and pepper to taste
Chicken stock (I use a Knorr chicken stock pot). 

Optional – ½ cup Orzo 

Wash and dice the stick of celery, peel and dice the carrot, swede and potato. 

Cut the leek in half lengthways and wash thoroughly under a running tap, from the white end down to the green to wash out any trapped dirt. 

Lay the cut sides down side by side on the chopping board and cut in half lengthways again.  Slice across the leeks to dice them. 

Melt the butter in a large pan and add the vegetables.  Season with salt and pepper and sweat very gently for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often to stop them sticking to the pan. 

Pour in enough water to cover the vegetables and add the powdered / cube of / pot of stock.  Stir well and add the leftover cooked chicken.  If you are adding the orzo, do that now too. 

Leave to simmer quietly for a further 20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment