Friday 23 March 2012

Kedgeree

I first tasted this back in the early 70’s, when my Aunt, who was a very adventurous cook for the time, made it for us.  It was a revelation as, in those days, my Mum’s repertoire was quite restricted.  She’s what you would call “a good plain British cook”; a great cook inside her comfort zone.  I digress!  I had never tasted anything like this before and it has remained a favourite ever since. 

It’s a classic Anglo-Indian Victorian breakfast dish, although we’ve always had it as our main meal!  This is my version of it, which leaves out the curry powder!  

For two people : 

1 large smoked cod or haddock fillet
1 cup of rice
½ cup of peas
2 hard boiled eggs
1 small bunch of parsley
1 generous knob of butter
Salt to taste 

Firstly, pop the fish fillets into an oven-proof dish, cover with water and cover the dish with foil.  Place in the oven to poach at 200oC(400oF/Gas mark 6) for 25 to 30 minutes. 

While the fish is poaching, cook the rice, adding the peas for the last 10 to 15 minutes. 

Peel the eggs, chopping one coarsely and slicing the other into quarters.  Wash and chop the parsley. 

When the fish is cooked, remove from the poaching water to drain, and then flake into bite sized pieces. 

Strain the cooked rice and peas and return to the pan, adding a generous knob of butter.  Stir so that the butter melts and then add the chopped egg, parsley and the cooked flaked fish.  Stir gently so that you don’t break up the egg or the fish any further.  Decant to a serving dish (or onto plates) and arrange the quarters of egg on the top.




I would like to dedicate this dish to my Auntie Joan, a great cook and a wonderful inspiration.  Thank you!


1 comment:

  1. How interesting! I love seeing new dishes I've never heard of before! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week & hope to see you back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete