Sunday 25 March 2012

Parsley Sauce


Parsley sauce is such a comforting sauce, and equally delicious with fish as with ham.  I particularly like it served with poached smoked cod or haddock. 

I have already given the recipe elsewhere, as part of a baked ham and parsley sauce post; but I thought it deserved a post all of its own too! 

I make an all-in-one sauce which has never failed me.  You do need to make sure that all of the ingredients are cold though (or room temperature). 

The quantity given below is plenty for two people, but any leftover can be frozen for another time.   

1tb plain flour
1 generous tsp butter
½ pint of cold milk
Salt and pepper to taste
2tb chopped curly parsley 

Simply place the flour, butter and milk together in a pan and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring from time to time.   

My handy little whisk
As the sauce begins to simmer stir constantly to stop any lumps from forming (if any do form just beat them out with a small whisk).  I have a handy little whisk that I use for this and have never known a lump to form! 

Stir the sauce as it thickens and turn the heat right down.  The sauce will need to cook for at least 5 minutes, and preferably longer to cook out the flour. 

Season to taste and add the parsley for the last few minutes to flavour the sauce.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. I've posted it on Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete