Thursday 12 December 2013

Cranberry and Orange Meringue Pie


I said I was cranberry obsessed didn’t I!!  This is another in my repertoire of cranberry and orange dishes and uses the same base as my compote and, indeed, my cranberry sauce! 

I just made a small one, as it is for two of us and we really are trying to keep the calories down in the run up to Christmas.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For two of us, in a 7" diameter quiche dish I used :
300g (10 to 12oz) of fresh cranberries
Juice and zest of a large orange
½ tsp of caster sugar (or more, to taste)
 
2 egg whites
2tb caster sugar
 
½ pack of shortcrust pastry

 
 
Firstly, pop a 300g (10/12oz) bag of cranberries into a saucepan with the zest and juice of an orange and ½ tsp of sugar (or more if you don’t like things as tart as I do!) and leave to simmer quietly until the cranberries pop and cook down. 

Line your dish with shortcrust pastry and bake blind for 25/30 minutes, until the pastry is cooked. * 

As soon as the pastry is cooked, add the cranberry compote to the dish. 

Beat two egg whites until they are stiff, add  2tb of caster sugar, 1tb at a time, until the egg whites are stiff and glossy.  Spoon onto the compote. 

Bake at 200oC (400oF / gas mark 6) for approximately 10 minutes, until the meringue is nicely browned.

 

 


 

I cant recommend ceramic baking beans enough here!  Over the years I have had many baking blind failures thanks to advice such as “use out of date dried beans, or rice”, so they are a sound investment.

 

 

 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment